Getting things the wrong way round . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 19 07:01:29 EDT 2008

A BIG THANK YOU to Runtime Revolution for my copy of
RevMedia 2.9 that arrived yesterday.

Somebody round "here" is at fault; it could be me, or
it could be the people at RR, or it could be both of
us:

BUT

A number of people, including myself, got a very bad
impression about the end-result of Beta testing.

May be we were ill-informed insofar as 2.9 was
announced as finished with great fanfare (which it
deserved) before the Beta testers were made aware that
they would be rewarded.

Now I don't know what motivated the other Beta
testers; however I am always suspicious at
protestations of disinterested service. My motivation
was clear; help improve RR and get my hands on the
newer version. I have no pretensions as to altruism.

So, I suppose that everybody should learn something
about this.

The most important message (as far as I am concerned)
should go to Runtime Revolution:

You have a loyal body of people from all sorts of
different backgrounds, with all sorts of temperaments.
It is in your interests not to alienate them; and the
best way to avoid this is to anticipate the sort of
thing that happened recently and, as a preventive
measure, keep them extremely well-informed and
reassured.

Having given that fairly pompous message, I would like
to reiterate my congratulations on having produced an
extremely good version of Runtime Revolution.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.