Easy quick hypertalk coding question

william humphrey shoreagent at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 08:57:11 EDT 2008

Hi
I was having so much fun trying to learn how to do it as Eric outlined it
that I forgot to go back and check the original sort. It turn out that the
reason the original sort wasn't working.

"sort cards by field index" ---  the one line of code

was because it needed to say "sort cards numeric by field index"  this was
compounded by the fact that when you do a "sort cards" in hypercard it takes
a second or so and you know that something happened. When you do the same
sort in RunRev it is almost instantaneous so I thought nothing was happening
and when I did "go first card" etc and saw that it wasn't sorted numeric I
thought that nothing had happened.

So you're right. It was a simple mistake (isn't that always the case?).

But I still like Eric's suggestion as that is what I'm trying to do -- put a
marker in so that I know how much of the database has been processed so that
the legacy hypercard stack (which is still being used) can be processed
again later starting from the last card that was processed.

Thanks everybody as always for all the help.

Bill

http://www.bluewatermaritime.com