Problem with put URL and websites

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 03:10:33 EDT 2008

On 4/16/08 9:43 PM, "Phil Davis" <revdev at pdslabs.net> wrote:

> Warning: I don't know much about this kind of thing.
> Is it possible that the TimeSpan item is being set by the
> "drawLocations" JS function in this file?:
>
> http://content.mqcdn.com/dotcom-release-11-build.19/cdn/js/dojo/dojo.js.result
> s.js
>
> (That's a ref in the source of your mapquest URL below).
>
> Phil Davis

You are on the right track, Phil.

This is one of  the techniques web masters use to discourage 'screen
scrapers', which is what
put url whatever.com into tVar
is doing.

The reason I asked Fred 'how much is it worth?' is because simple techniques
won't be successful without a browser or using Rev Http Headers (not easy).

Of course there is RevBrowser, but Fred reported that for him it crashed
Rev.

On a Mac, I would use Applescript from Rev to
[warning: code may not be exactly correct]

tell app "Safari"
set the url of document 1 to theUrlAddress
wait 5 seconds
return the source of document 1
end tell

in Rev
do theScriptForSafari as Applescript
put the result in to pageSource
--

or
return the text of document 1

You can use similar on Win.

This TimeSpan  js slows down the robotic programs that basically suck the
precious data from sources like MapQuest and update some other data source.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas