More on 'there is a file it' returning false for files w/ non-Western European chars

Robert Sneidar slylabs13 at mac.com
Tue Apr 15 17:03:13 EDT 2008

I created an empty Revolution stack called äô.rev. I created another
stack called bobtest. In the stack script of bobtest I put the
following script:

ON bobtest
     answer file "Please select a file..."
     put it into theFile
     IF theFile is empty THEN
         answer "The user cancelled." WITH "Darnitall!"
     END IF
     open stack theFile
END bobtest

This worked for me. The filename remains intact. The stack opens as it
should.

I noticed you are using open file it. I am not sure what kind of file
you are trying to open. If it is a stack, that won't work. You have to
use Open Stack. If it is a file, you have to tell the Finder to open
the file. If you are trying to do low level file functions, then let's
explore that.

To write to a low level file you need to use the form "open file
theFile for write". Like so:

ON bobtest
     answer file "Please select a file..."
     put it into theFile
     IF theFile is empty THEN
         answer "The user cancelled." WITH "Darnitall!"
     END IF
     open file theFile FOR write
     write "This is a test." to file theFile
     close file theFile
END bobtest

Upon opening the file, I find the text, "This is a test." plain as
day.  So I am still unsure what you are having a problem with.

Bob "SlimPikn" Sneidar
Hog Pilot Extraordinaire