The DO Command

Joseph Martinez developer at positivepractices.com
Sat Apr 12 17:27:55 EDT 2008

Thanks for the response.  I should probably explain further.  I would, of
course, just use explicit Revolution statements where applicable, but in the
cases where user variables or params are unforeseen I might use the "do"
command, such as in the following (not fully tested) example:

On theDate
  Ask "What date?" with "abbr system"
  Put theDate(it)
End theDate

function theDate p1
  put "Abbreviated,Abbr,Long,Short,Internet,English,System" into t1
  put "Internet,English,System" into t2
  put word 1 of p1 into t1a
  put word 2 of p1 into t2a
  if t1a is among the items of t1 and ((t2a is among the items of t2) OR
(t2a is empty)) then
    if t1a is not in t2a and t1a is not among the items of t2 then -- e.g.
internet internet
      put "put the" && t1a && t2a && "date into theDate" into tCmd
      replace space & space with empty in tCmd -- in case t2a is empty
    else
      put "put the" && t1a && "date into theDate" into tCmd
    end if
  end if
    If tCmd is empty then return the date
  do tCmd
  Return theDate
End theDate

I know I could use more explicit switch or if-then routines, but for me the
above method is a little more fun and efficient.  I also use some more
complex integrated handlers that do other things.  So, my understanding now
is that this will work on all platforms because the tCmd translates into
Revolution code.

As for MacOS Classic:

> As to MacOS (classic) support, you can tell what's supported in the
> different platforms by clicking on the Documentation button in the toolbar
> and then clicking "Dictionary" in the documentation window's toolbar.
> There's a column there that is "Platforms", and anything that doesn't work
> on OS 9 will not have the blue "face" OS 9 icon. However 90+% of Rev code
> works on OS 9 as well.

Since there is not the "blue face" OS 9 icon in the Dictionary (Rev Version
2.9) for the "do" command.  Would I have to do something like:

If the platform is MacOS and char 1 to 2 of the systemversion > 9 then do
tCmd

-- or --

Do tCmd as applescript

? Or, would the handler-function combo work on Classic because it is
compiled as Rev code?

Thanks again,  Joseph