Rev cgi server and SSL

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Fri Apr 11 06:52:40 EDT 2008

There is no certificate on the server. I had not installed one and
didn't think I needed to. The web page is secure and the connection
from the server to the payment gateway is secure. I don't think there
is actually a security issue here, but Firefox and Safari don't know
this, so they report a potential problem (enough to scare customers).

I could install a certificate on the server, but it's somewhat
problematic because I already use the IP address of the server
throughout several custom Rev programs. My understanding is that by
installing a certificate on the server, I will not be able to refer
to the server by its IP address, but would instead be forced to refer
to it by a domain name (meaning, I'd have to change a lot of previous
programming). I'd like to avoid that.

Richard