why does this not work and how do you do it?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 15:23:59 EDT 2008

OK, this is really simple to do.  You make a new mainstack with one card
whose script is:

on mouseUp
focus on field "Field"
end mouseUp

Now you create a button with traversal off and a field with traversal on.
The button script is:

on mouseUp
  ask "pick a number"
  if isNumber(it) is true then put it into field "Field"
  if the result is "Cancel" then select the text of field "Field"
  if isNumber(it) is false then send mouseUp to this card
end mouseUp

Select text as you and Jacque suggested works fine.

Now, what I expect is that if you enter say xyz at the prompt, it should
send mouseUp to the card, and this should be exactly the same as clicking on
the card.  Maybe this is not right?  At any rate, it doesn't activate.
However, if you then click on the card, the field is activated.  So what
seems so strange to me is that doing mouseUp on the card works fine, but
sending mouseUp to the card from the button doesn't work.

I did put in a line to answer it, and the alpha stuff really is in it, so
definitely we should meet the condition of isNumber(it) being false.

Be glad to see someone else duplicating this!

Peter