good Rev demos

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Thu Apr 10 11:52:31 EDT 2008

> I don't think that you will be able to impress those Flash
> programmers much. They want to make on-line games and while
> that's about the only thing Flash is capable of, it does it
> much better than Revolution will ever do. If you were to
> compare Revolution with Filemaker, you might impress your
> audience with readily available server and database
> capabilities in a very flexible and easily adjustable interface.

I would argue that teamed with Valentina, you already have that. With VDN
Platform Edition (Revolution), you can deploy Embedded Server/Revolution
solutions on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. A 5-Connection server you can
deploy in unlimited quantities, and an "unlimited" connection server that's
about as economical as it gets.

FM makes a lot of things very easy - at the same time, that ease comes with
many technical limitations.

> Perhaps you might also find a grateful public amongst web
> programmers who use a combination of Perl, Python, MySQL and
> Apache, now that Revolution is less demanding if used as a
> CGI engine. Naturally, you might try a comparison between
> RealBasic, SuperCard, HyperStudio 5 (if that's ever
> released), XCode and .NET. You will probably be able to find
> some people who'd like to switch to Revolution. Flash however...
> nah... no chance, Flash is too different. They'll just shrug.

I weigh all comparisons about equally - adding a new tool means you'll have
access to more customers who particularly want a feature that others don't
provide - as solution providers, that's not a bad thing. There are things
that RR cannot do well or at all, that Flash can do very well - and the
opposite is very true. And many a strength can also be turned around into a
weakness. Ive had developers tell me "oh, I can do that a-okay in my
favorite tool!" - and the results look terrible.

If I want to lay out a responsive, native looking application on
Win/Mac/Linux, the list of candidates is pretty small. Add or subtract a
platform, and the list changes again.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President