Rev cgi question

Robert Sneidar slylabs13 at mac.com
Wed Apr 2 14:02:37 EDT 2008

Hi Richard.

The OS X servers use ACL's (Access Control Lists) now. If there is an
ACL entry which applies to the particular user that is accessing the
file or folder, then the ACL supersedes the POSIX permissions you are
trying to set. The server first looks at the ACL entries in order. If
the user matches any of the ACL's that are set, that user gets that
ACL permission, and the whole process stops at that point.

If the user falls all the way through the ACL's without hitting on
one, THEN and ONLY THEN do the POSIX permissions come into play. The
only way to manage the acl permissions is if you use the Server Admin
utility.

The best solution is to allow all users read/write ACL access to the
root directory, and then (assuming the server is set up to have ACL's
inherit down to the children) any new files created will possess the
same ACL's that the parent folder has, and POSIX will not even come
into play.

Now if you can access a folder after setting the POSIX permissions,
but cannot access new files created in that folder, that is because
POSIX inheritance does not work the way you think it would, or the way
it should, given the nature of file servers. With POSIX, the creator
of the folder or file becomes the Owner with read/write permissions.
The parent's Group has read only (regardless of what the parent's
group's permissions were) and the Everyone gets read only.

If you still have problems after that, I would talk to the server
admin and make sure he has set the ACL's to inherit from the parent.
It's something you set at the root VOLUME (not the share) while
sharing is off.

One more note, are you using AFP or SMB to log into the server? I
believe SMB has it's own permission inheritance settings. I ALWAYS set
mine to have children inherit the parent. Otherwise you spend a LOT of
time cleaning up other people's new folder and file permissions.

Sorry for the long blurb.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management