Sortable Lists

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 25 11:11:01 EDT 2007

Mike Hughes wrote:
> I would like to create a very Mac-like list of items with rows and columns
> and have it sortable exactly like the Finder's "as List" view. So if you
> click on a column heading, it makes that heading aqua blue and sorts either
> descending or ascending on that column.
>
> How do I create such a list in Revolution? I've noticed this type of
> interface is common in Cocoa apps (iTunes, Cog, etc.) I have the sorting
> code figured out, its more just the interface that has stumped me. Do I have
> to create the interface from scratch to resemble that style?

It's a lot of work to make one.  A LOT of work.  I may be able to help
save you some time:

I have a group control driven by a library that might do what you need.
  The library comes with an Inspector that installs the group and lets
you edit its properties.

Here's a screen shot:
<http://fourthworld.net/list2.jpg>

It still needs to be documented, but if there's enough interest I'd put
in the time to productize it and make it available as a commercial
add-on for a reasonable price (I'm thinking something on the order of ~$44).

To help me get a feel for the level of interest, any of you who might
consider buying such a gadget please drop me a note at table at fourthworld.com

If you'd like to help test please let me know, and note the OS version
and Rev version you're working with.  It would be helpful to get your
feedback on the price (too high, too low, just right?) and to know a bit
about the project you plan to use it in (I find real-world scenarios
very motivating - I have one product in use on a UNICEF project and
knowing that my work helps enable such projects keeps me fired up).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation