RealBasic pulls MySQL support

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Tue Sep 11 19:40:26 EDT 2007

> > Apparently RealBasic will no longer support MySQL as a
> database option
> > except through external ODBC drivers. It seems that their
> plugin was
> > developed under a GPL license.
> >
> > http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/development/index.html

The FAQ that now exists only in cached form
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:TYVUWypzyIkJ:www.realsoftware.com/produc
ts/realbasic/mysql_faq/+realbasic+mysql+faq&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1 is very
interesting.

My understanding is that mySQL owns the copyrights to the database software
and that they can release it under multiple licenses, including the GPL.
Whatever the situation is with REAL Software, it looks like there were some
very unfavorable terms between MySQL AB and REAL. Besides, REAL has a vested
interest in promoting their own server solution. However I can see how their
customers would be annoyed by this. Tossing out the connector to a core
piece of infrastructure (even if they are our arch enemy MySQL!) can
understandably annoy customers ;-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President