strange nested groups behaviour

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 06:28:59 EDT 2007

--- jbv <jbv.silences at club-internet.fr> wrote:
> well, I just found the explanation. "the owner of
> me" returns
> "group date" (for instance), and since each of my
> groups "search"
> contains the same kind of objects with the same
> names, Rev
> checks some lookup table for a group "date" and the
> first one it finds
> is group "date" in group "search1"...
>
> I've been deeply into xml lately and I thought that
> "the owner of me"
> would return some kind of unique object
> identifier... next time I'll
> think twice before coding blindly...
>
> Best,
> JB

Hi JB,

As you concluded, "the owner of me" returns a short
reference to the group, which can of course be
ambiguous. If you have multiple groups with the same
name on your card, Revolution will then grab the first
group it can find.

The solution is to work with the long ID of the object
itself. The long ID of the owner is then word 4 to -1
of this long ID.
This trick resolves the name ambiguity.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====