Mac OSX simulated toolbar

Lynn Marie Peterson lynnp333 at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 12:46:51 EDT 2007

Ken Ray wrote:

> Lynn, I've looked into it, and even have a cobbled-together version
> partially working, but (a) it's not ready for public consumption, and
> (b) there's one aspect of the OS X toolbar that can't be simulated
> properly - the "Configure Toolbar..." menu item (it's sheet that drops
> down from *below the toolbar*, not from the titlebar), and even if that
> *did* work, dragging and dropping items into and out of the toolbar is
> going to be painful....
>

> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
> Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
> Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Thanks for your input Ken. Much appreciated. I just went over the Apple docs
on this and was just wondering about the sheet aspect - never noticed
exactly where the sheet dropped for the toolbars until now... and the drag
and drop nightmare as well.

I am getting a bit frustrated at not having some specific graphic objects
not available such as a true rounded search box (I use the simulated idea as
Rev itself has in it's documentation window) and the tab panel only having
tabs at the top (I put in an enhancement request at the QA Center (Report
#5326), etc.  But at least I can simulate them, even though it's a pain to
create all the graphics and functionality at times to simulate it all.  At
least once it's done... it's a reusable object. End of gripe. :-)

Anyway... thanks for responding Ken. I suppose I'll just try a different
approach, at least for now. I don't want to simulate an OS specific feature
half way which may be confusing to users of my software. Good luck on
finishing your endeavor on the toolbar!