Gradients, math and graphs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 3 14:59:28 EDT 2007

David Bovill wrote:
> Josh - do I remember you mentioning that you had posted this stack to
> the list - I'd love to take a look now that I have downloaded
> Fireworks :)

Fireworks' unusually high productivity compels me to join the
choir.  In terms of overall ROI, for GUI design Fireworks is to other
graphics solutions as Rev is to other languages: not perfect, not for
everyone, but if it does what you need you'll probably have a
several-fold gain in productivity using it, certainly many times more
than its cost.

Some folks, including at least a few overpaid-yet-willfully-ignorant
executives at Adobe, will tell you there's nothing you can do with
Fireworks that you can't do with Photoshop.  That may be true, in the
sense that you can drive a nail with a screwdriver or ride a burro to
the office.  Such things are possible, just not optimal.  But moreover,
most of these people have somehow formed this opinion before ever
actually doing any serious task in Fireworks.

If one has only been using inferior workflows it's likely impossible to
imagine how smooth the workday can be with a tool designed from the
ground up specifically for the task at hand.

For making GUIs and web UIs, IMNSHO Fireworks is such a tool.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal