Data synchronization

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 3 04:26:18 EDT 2007

On 3/9/07 10:40 AM, "Alex Shaw" <alex at harryscollar.com> wrote:

> Hi Ruslan
>
> In relation to your question, I am interested in .. b) off-line client
> to Vserver synch.
>
> But..
>
> I have a simple & probably very common scenario.

Yes, we want collect the most common needs of Valentina users,
To implement them in the first turn.

> Small group of multiple users, most users have local network access and
> other users on the road with laptops.
>
> Laptops are equipped with wireless broadband but will be required to do
> offline changes. Changes are synced when network is available.
> Some of these changes involve structural as well as simple data changes.

And here main question we have:

Does laptops should have
    a) the whole snapshoot of server db ?
    b) or its part?
    c) or nothing at all?

Case c) means that we need only one direction synch
            Client => Server

Case a) means bi-direction synch
            Client <=> Server

Case b) the same as a)  but also require way to specify some FILTERs to load
from server only some PART of info.

---------------------
> I know that is asking a lot but I am flexible to the types of offline
> changes to be allowed. Possibly limiting or removing ability to do
> structural changes. I am experimenting with different table structures
> to allow flexibility.
>
> Current single user application is written in Rev & uses sqlite but have
> been planning to switch to valentina. Now seriously planning
> implementation of multi-user requirements.
>
> I do have Valentina's Rev ADK but not Vserver.

We have upgrade from ADK to VDN option.

> Maybe embedded Vserver is an option but your wiki is low on details on
> what is involved to integrate into main rev application.

Please ask specific questions on Valentina list,
And I will try give you points to correct WIKI pages.

> I prefer a customised HTTP server approach in which the main server
> pushes and pulls information from connected client apps. This also
> allows possibility of using third-party access in the future. eg.
> limited web-browser access.

Okay I see.

Actually we did develop HTTP access for Valentina server more than year ago.
But it is not in game yet, because we did plan use it with XML features and
they are still on hold.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin