Geometry in latest version of RunRev

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Oct 31 19:43:22 EDT 2007

On 31 Oct 2007, at 23:37, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>> On 22 Oct 2007, at 03:44, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>> The GM is good for what it does, but it can't anticipate all
>>> possible combinations of object-ordering needs, and will fail in
>>> some cases.
>>>
>>> Writing one's one geometry management is so simple that I never
>>> understood why RunRev saddled themselves with writing 40k of GM
>>> script just for a subset of needs.
>> Well, if it's that useless and flawed why don't they just get rid
>> of  it? Seems like something a newbie would use and then end up in
>> a  panic cos all their objects disappear into outer space! At the
>> very  least it should come with a stern health warning!
>
> It would be helpful if the docs for the GM noted its limitations,
> and included some sample scripts on how to use the resizeStack
> message directly if needed.
>
> Dropping it may be a bit much, since a number of people rely on it
> for relatively simple layouts, but deprecating it may be an option.
>
> What sort of layout were you working on that riggered this "panic"?

I very simple resize of some fields and move the button at the
bottom. Had everything ready for a demo and then they said, could you

All I wanted was to quickly have something that just worked, but I
couldn't risk all the object flying off into outer space, so in the
end bodged up something for the demo.

I'd like something that was half way standard that I could use in all
my scripts.

All the Best
Dave