Rev will be Leopard ready

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Tue Oct 30 12:51:09 EDT 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Lynn Fredricks wrote:

>> Well first of all, many people have the "I'll wait until
>> Service Pack 1 is out" (Windows) or "I'll wait until 10.x.1
>> is out" (Mac) attitude, and this is a legitimate perspective.
>> I have Leopard installed on an external drive at the moment
>> to do testing, etc., but I'm not going to upgrade right away
>> - I'm waiting to hear what works/doesn't work before I make
>> the move, and may even wait until "10.5.1" is out.
>>
>> Of course people buying new machines or are early adopters
>> don't have this opportunity, but for those with existing
>> machines, I've found it just doesn't pay to jump the gun and
>> adopt an OS upgrade as soon as it comes out, unless there's
>> really no other choice.
>
> I agree with Ken - new machine buyers have little choice (except
> those who
> dump Vista and go back to XP Pro ;-)) but companies, other than
> maybe Mac OS
> X developers and extreme enthusiasts, are not usually in a rush to
> upgrade
> to the latest and greatest. The latest and greatest may just kill that
> custom accounting system for example and that could wipe out the
> company.
>
> I know of several corporations that were rolling out Windows 2000
> even as
> Vista appeared. Once you know you have a platform that works, and
> you are
> utterly dependent on that platform - why rush?

Then there are the developers that bundle their software with new
hardware for each sale.  We have to worry about OS upgrades because
we ship our software on whatever OS Apple and Microsoft are shipping
at the time.  I always get nervous during these transitions.  Luckily
I do not use metal much.  :)

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software