(OT) Parsing SQL space padded results in Rev]

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Wed Oct 17 07:43:25 EDT 2007

At last maybe I can give back a little of the help I've gotten from this
list!!!

Where is this output coming from:

apples     |     ti plant              |  prestidigitator      |   key
key         |     prestidigitator     | ti plant        |   apples

That looks a lot like the output of the psql command and not the Rev
database commands.  Psql is for command line
use but it CAN be used to extract data.  I think the specific option you
want is \a ("Toggle alignment").  You can use
\? from within psql to get a complete list.

Just in case that is NOT the problem, what are the field types for the
columns you're looking at?  If they are varchar(xx)
or text, you won't get any padding (by Postgres anyway).  If they are
char(xx), they will always be padded out to
the length of xx.

If you don't have too many queries to rewrite (and you HAVE to use
psql), you can always CAST the return values.
For example:

SELECT charField1, TRIM(charField1) FROM mytable ;

The first field will be padded, the second not.  You can of course leave
off the first field in the query.

Hope that helps.

Len Morgan