Credit Card Reader (Mac)

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Wed Oct 10 16:55:16 EDT 2007

The recommendation from Liam is a good one.  I haven't used these for
CCs before but I wrote a complete P.O.S. system that used the same
"keyboard wedge" interface.  Basically, you get the cursor in the field
you want to read and when you swipe (or scan) the card, the computer
just thinks you type really fast.  :-)  The only thing you have to watch
for is setting it up so that when the scan is finished, you get a CR or
LF or some sort of notification that it's done.  The nice thing about
this interface is that you can test it by just typing in the field
instead of swiping.  That's also handy when the reader isn't working for
some reason.

Since you want to do this on a Mac, the only thing to make sure of is
that you can use an external keyboard (either PS2 or USB).

len