How know if a stack is maximized ?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Oct 9 13:25:39 EDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Trevor wrote:
>> The stack should reopen to the size it was prior to the user
>> clicking on the maximize button in the title bar.
>
> This seems counterintuitive to me.  If the user explicitly
> maximized the window, why would the window open to any other size?

True. So Notepad is a bad example. Take Firefox or IE then. If you
close the application while a window is maximized then the window
will open back into the maximized state. Clicking the 'Restore Down'
button then returns the window to it's non-maximized size.

> I couldn't find mention of this exception in the OS X HIG, so I
> went to check the behavior in TextEdit.  Bad idea:  TextEdit
> doesn't really honor any user size settings, at least not in any
> easily-discernible pattern. ;)

Behavior on OS X seems more random to me than on Windows. If I recall
correctly OS X uses a concept of the User window state and the Ideal
window state. When you click on the "+" icon in an OS X window the
window toggles between the size the user has set the window to and
the ideal size that the program sets. I'm still not clear on how it
is *supposed* to work though. I just tried OmniOutliner 3 and the
position of my document windows seem to be remembered but not the size.

In any case, I think we need an additional property in reorder to
recreate this madness in our own apps.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems