COM support in RunRev

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Oct 5 11:12:31 EDT 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:58:58 +0100, David Burgun wrote:

> I know I can achieve the same on the Mac from past experience of
> using RunRev with AppleScript, however I am not sure of if and how
> RunRev supports the COM interface?

Currently Rev does not have built in support for COM, although there
are alternatives:

1) If you are so inclined you can build a Rev external (DLL).

2) If there's already non-Rev DLLs available you want to be able to
use, you can connect to them using VBScript an implement them. A tip on
how to do this is here:
     http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/ext002.htm

(BTW, that tip also explains the difference between a Rev and non-Rev
DLL.)

3) You can use VBScript by itself, if the app you're trying to
communicate with supports it. Examples are here:
     http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/iac001.htm
     http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/iac002.htm

4) You could use socket communication, if the app you're trying to
communicate with supports it.

Hope this helps,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.