Filemaker through ODBC

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Oct 1 18:45:03 EDT 2007

> I am a long time FileMaker Developer and have been using
> Revolution as a database front end for a short time. Because
> I am now using Rev as the interface for the database, a lot
> of the power of layouts, portals and scripts in Filemaker are
> no longer available.
>
> I have ended up using PostgreSQL as theback end and Rev as
> the front end (MySQL has costs associated with
> networked/enterprise usage). PostgreSQL avoids the
> increasingly expensive FileMaker licensing model and yet
> provides a very high performance database engine to drive a
> complex application.
>
> Rev is an excellent front end for this type of architecture
> as it supports PostgreSQL along with many other databases
> "out of the box" (come to think of it I have never seen a Rev box)...
>
> You have other choices of course and Ruslan may jump in to
> tell you about another option called Valentina at this point...

How predictable Ruslan has become - but I will beat him to it :-)

Valentina for Revolution ADK 3.4 is available for building royalty free,
single user database solutions with Valentina and Revolution.

Valentina Developer Network (Revolution) lets you create and deploy local
and client-server solutions using Valentina Embedded Server. VES is
automatically initialized to support five simultanous connections - you can
extend these or do a per deployment of VES Infinite. Lots of other included
bits - additional connections, and Valentina Studio Admin for rapidly
creating your databases, porting from other databases, searching and
administering.

ADK comes with 1 year of updates; VDN comes with 2 years of updates.

Valentina supports Revolution on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. Valentina is
just bristling with features - it is well known for being extremely fast
compared to other solutions, including MS SQL Server, MySQL and more.

Both Paradigma and Runtime offer a bundle of Valentina for Revolution
Professional and Revolution Studio for $499.

Note please my bias below :-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President