Controlling iTunes in Revolution Using COM and Applescript

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 13:40:56 EST 2007

On 11/29/07 1:34 PM, "Francis Nugent Dixon" <effendi at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> In a recent newsletter you make some of us drool with stories
> about controlling iTunes from a Rev stack. Unfortunately, I
> can't read the "associated stack" because I don't have the
> latest version of Revolution, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
> Is it possible to have a version of the stack I can open
> with Rev 2.6.

[1] <newsletter quote>
" The example stack should work in older versions of Revolution on Mac OSX"
</newsletter quote>

Well, Francis,  I am running 2.7.2 on OSX and it does not work for me.  The
mainstack opens, but I get "can't find handler  iTunesPlay sPlaylist,
pIndex", which is probably in the iTunes substack.

It looks like the main stack is OK, but the substacks are not a compatible
format.  There could be other problems with the demo, but I have already
tossed the example because I don't have time to figure out what's out of
whack.  Maybe sometime in the future it will come to light.

Anyway, it did not simply download, open, and work, so I'll ignore it for
now.

I agree that it would have been better if the article told us which versions
of Rev would run the demo, but part of the Rev experience is learning by
experience.

The addition of "do as vbscript" is an exciting one!  I will probably have a
client in the next few months that will need COM and I know I can get it.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas