Welcome to Scotland

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 00:05:57 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 10:37 AM, Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:

> But look at what I saw as I entered the Glasgow airport this last May:
>
>   http://www.sonsothunder.com/Welcome.png
>
> I don't wish to detract from the general incredulity of how someone can be
paid so much to come up with the bleeding obvious, but I think in this case
wont the next time you visit Glasgow the big 'Welcome to Scotland' still be
there but instead of the small "Best Small Country In The World" be replaced
with "Birthplace of Charles Rennie Mackintosh" and refer to the 2014
Commonwealth Games among other slogans.

That's what you'll be getting for all that money;-)

I guess the other question that needs to be asked is will RunRev take
advantage of this opportunity and suggest:

Edinburgh's options include "UNESCO First City of Literature" and "Real
Financial Strength".

Home of a new Revolution

Along a similar line I remember a couple of years ago hearing about a multi
year English University Study that concluded 'Scots are generally ticked off
with the English'

But as far as national tourist slogans go I think the prize goes to Hong
Kong which at the beginning of 2003 introduced the new "Hong Kong, it'll
take your breathe away!" slogan. Unfortunately for them, back on 16 Nov 2002
the first suspected case of SARS was recorded in Southern China. By March 12
2003 the WHO had issued it's global alert which the media blew completely
out of proportion leaving the entire world scared that they'd never breath
again. So around April 12 2003 Hong Kong axed it's new, but clearly
inappropriate, slogan.

Talk about bad timing ;-)