Any suggestions on how to "onion skinning"?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Nov 28 13:17:28 EST 2007

I'm working on a program with my son that does simple card-based
animation, but one of the things he asked how to do in Rev stumped me,
and that is doing an "onion skin" - showing a "grayed out" version of
the previous card's objects on the current card.

I know how to do *some* of it (I can take actual Rev objects from the
previous card, copy them, change their lines/fills/blends/etc. to work
and then group them and put them behind the current set of objects on
the current card), but what stumps me is how to handle imported/created
images.

At best, what I'd *like* to do is to basically convert images to
grayscale, and at worst I'd settle for turning all non-white pixels a
single color of gray. I know I can walk through the imageData and
convert things pixel by pixel, but I fear that would be really slow on
larger (say 800x600) images (although I haven't tried it yet).

Any suggestions?

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com