problem with standalone mac->windows

Peter Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:52:49 EST 2007

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Peter Brigham wrote:
>
>> OK, I have a stack with an option menu with a lot of entries in it,
>> titles for moving to various cards. Selecting a title takes you to
>> the appropriate card The menu behaves well when I create a standalone
>> (on my mac iBook G4) for the mac, but when I tried the windows
>> version of the standalone on a windows XP machine, the menu list runs
>> down off the screen so you can't see the bottom part of the list at
>> all, and you can't scroll the list by moving the cursor to the bottom
>> of the screen or even by using the down arrow key. This makes it
>> impossible to navigate to anything in the bottom part of the list.
>> Anyone seen this before? How do I fix it?
>>

> What is the style property of the control, and what is the value of
> its
> menuLines property set to?
>
> I just made an option control and set the menulines to 40, and it
> works
> well on XP:  when popped up while positioned lower in the display than
> can accommodate 40 items, it positions the menu so that the bottom
> is at
> the bottom of the windowboundingRect; no clipping at all, all parts of
> the control available, responds well to arrow keys.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Managing Editor, revJournal

Aha! "menulines" -- I never had occasion to look at this button
property. The button is an option button; style = "menu." I found
that the menulines of the button were set to 60, so I set it through
the msg box to 30, then 10. This does not change the behavior of the
menu on the mac -- on the mac in the IDE or in standalone form,
whether I set the menulines to 10 or 30 or 60, the menu displays as
many lines as it can down to the bottom of the windowboundingrect,
with the usual down-triangle at the bottom; when the mouse is at the
bottom the list scrolls. I hope setting the menulines to a small
number will make a difference on windows, where the problem is the
list ran down out of the windowboundingrect and thus I was unable to
scroll down to choose anything not initially visible. I'm presuming
on windows the menuline will limit the height of the dropdown list,
though it doesn't on the mac. I'll try the windows standalone out
with the menulines set to a small number as soon as I can. One
difficulty I have is only intermittent access to a windows machine,
makes it hard to troubleshoot a standalone for the other platform....

And on Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com> wrote:

> Could you be using a special character that Windows doesn't like?
> I've seen strange behavior on the Mac if you use a slash in the name
> of the menuitem. I'd stay a way from any special characters and see
> if that works correctly.
>
> Bill

No slashes, but I am using some accented characters and an ampersand
or two. Another thing to test out, if the above doesn't fix it. I'll
get back to you with the results when I have them.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig/

"A friend of mine is a voodoo acupuncturist. I don't actually have to
go see him. I'll just be walking down the street, and.....
ooooooooooh, that's much better..."
             -- Steven Wright