Adjusting a field size based upon its contents

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 17 06:17:26 EST 2007

Hi from Paris,

I have a hidden field that I want to display after I have put a
specific text in it. The text is of variable size.

The size of field required is obviously based on the "textSize",
"textFont" and "number of characters" values. I need to set the size of
the field (rect) so that it is just big enough for the text to be
displayed.

If I had a few days available, I could surely work out an algorithm to
do this, but I need to get the new version of my application out of the
door quickly.

Has anybody come across this problem (and solved it) ?

Many Thanks

-Francis