Massive Speed difference between Mac/PC with SQLite

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Fri Nov 16 08:39:33 EST 2007

Hi Dave,

try building your database in :memory:  mode. Then dump it to hard disk
when ready. I do this routinely in an Rev/SQLite program that deals with
100 000 records distributed over 25 tables with about and 127 fields and
it takes less then 2 seconds to copy the entire database to RAM and no
query returning thousands of records from the database takes longer then
7 secs on a  modest 1,4 GHz Windows XP system with 256 Mb RAM. Well,
queries had to be manually optimised, otherwise "traditional" joins of a
few tables took ~10 min. to execute returning the same result set.

One more alternative hint for sqlite (this won't work with in-RAM
databases launched from within Rev, but will for any hard-disk based db)
is to NOT use SQL to populate the entire database with large amounts of
data. Use shell to sqlite3 executable to .import FILE TABLE. This works
much, much, much faster.

Viktoras