(mac) application menu

Peter Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 07:56:03 EST 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:19:4, Mark Schonewille <m.schonewille at economy-
x-talk.com> wrote:

****
> Problem 2. When I first created my recipe stack I named things
> somewhat hastily, and I tried once when I was mostly done to create
> a standalone, then went back to revise a bunch of things. As I
> developed it further I renamed the stack file and the main stack,
> which was originally named "recipeFile". I also chose a different
> name in the standalone preferences for the eventual application.
> When I converted it to a standalone finally, it was named properly
> in the Finder (as specified in the standalone preferences), but the
> application name as it appears in the application menu on the mac
> (and in the "quit <myApp>" menuitem) is the original name of the
> main stack, "recipeFile". And nothing I do results in altering
> this. I have changed the name of the main stack, the label of the
> main stack, the name of the application bundle in the standalone
> preferences, the name of the stack file, but the old "recipeFile"
> stubbornly continues to be what appears next to the apple menu in
> the standalone, and in the "quit" item of that menu. There is
> *nothing* now in the stack file that bears the name "recipeFile" --
> not the name of the stack in the Finder, not the main stack name,
> not the main stack label, nothing. I don't know where the
> standalone builder is getting the string "recipeFile" from at this
> point. Did it somehow save it from when I originally tried to make
> the first standalone?

Just make sure to give the standalone the preferred name in the
Standalone Application Settings. You will find this name in the
General pane.
****

Well, that's what I would expect. But the name that appears next to
the Apple menu that's supposed to be the name of the application is
*not* the name I give the application in the standalone settings. It
is the original mainstack name. And nothing I do changes that. I've
tried setting a different name for the app in the standalone
settings, setting a different name for the main stack, setting a
different name for the stack in the Finder, setting a different label
for the mainstack. Each time I create a standalone, the name for the
standalone in the Finder is indeed what the standalone settings
instruct, but the name that appears in the menubar when I run the
standalone is the original mainstack name. It's as though the
standalone builder somehow is stuck on that name for this app, even
though there is nothing with that name anywhere in the stack system
any more.

Can someone please try the recipe and tell me if this is a bug, or
some weirdness with my setup? Create a stack, name it something, make
it into a standalone, then toss that standalone, open the stack again
in the IDE, change the name of the stack, change the name for the app
in the standalone settings and make a standalone again. What happens
when you run the app? I'm using Mac OS 10.4.10, Studio 2.8.1 build
471, iBook G4.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig/

--  Every experiment turns out right -- although not necessarily the
way you expected. (Nor do you have to understand it.)