Planning ahead for threads and more interactivity in rev apps

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Thu Nov 8 13:03:04 EST 2007

Hi Xavier,

One approach is to have a primary app which offloads 'blocking' or
time-consuming tasks to invisible secondary apps (also built with Rev)
via sockets. So the primary app would open a connection, tell the
secondary app what to do, and close the connection (or use a datagram).
Then PrimaryApp is free for other tasks while SecondaryApp does the
lookup. When SecondaryApp has some results, it opens a socket to
PrimaryApp and writes the results to it (or tells PrimaryApp about a new
data file containing the results, or...)

The use of socket communication keeps interactions message-based or
event-driven, which will keep PrimaryApp focused on managing server info
results rather than obtaining them. I believe that's what you want.

This approach is somewhat scalable too; you can have several invisible
SecondaryApps running if needed. (But that does add complexity to task
management)

Anyway, food for thought...

Phil Davis