Neat Trick!

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Nov 7 18:44:49 EST 2007

Hi All,

Thought I'd share this one! If you have a number of function calls
that can fail by returning a value and you need to check but also
save the result, here's a neat trick:

repeat forever
put empty into myErrorMessage
if somefunction(Inputparam1, Inputparam2,myResult1,myErrorMessage) =
false then exit repeat
if somefunction(Inputparam3, Inputparam4,myResult2,myErrorMessage) =
false then exit repeat
if somefunction(Inputparam5, Inputparam6,myResult3,myErrorMessage) =
false then exit repeat
if somefunction(Inputparam7, Inputparam8,myResult4,myErrorMessage) =
false then exit repeat
if somefunction(Inputparam9, Inputparam10,myResult5,myErrorMessage) =
false then exit repeat
exit repeat
end repeat

if myErrorMessage = empty then

-- Do Success code and work on the results obtained

else

-- Do Failure Code

end if

In this case the "end repeat" acts as a "label" and we simulate a
goto with "exit repeat"

Cool, Huh?

All the Best
Dave