Asus eee laptop?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 04:49:22 EDT 2007

No, but I have run Rev on a 700mhz PIII under Puppy (in case some are not
familiar, its a 100Mb stripped down Linux using JWM as the desktop).
Amazing.  It ran perfectly and was very fast.  Mean to see how Rev runs under
the even smaller and faster DSL, which is only 50Mb.

I am also running a Rev app on a 500mhz PIII with 200Mb memory, with the whole
works installed - Mandriva 2006 under Gnome.  That also runs very snappily,
though its a bit slow to boot, and its eaten a big chunk of the hard drive.
If we put in Puppy or DSL or one of the distros below, it would probably
scream along.

Based on this,  I'd be sure the Asus will run Rev just fine.

If some are not familiar with the interesting and wonderful world of
minimalist Linux distros and window managers, other minimalist distros worth
considering if you have clients who are in search of cheap hardware for Rev
would be Absolute, and Fluxbuntu.  Absolute is Slackware based, and a minimal
Slack install with Fluxbox as the WM would also work well on minimal
hardware.

If you want turnkey systems in appliance mode, some of the minimalist tabbed
window managers (maybe on Debian or Slack) are ways to get there.  They are
very fast indeed.  Ion3 is one.  wmii is another.  They make Fluxbox seem
bloated.  They are definitely appliance mode for ordinary users, but not
necessarily one app only.   Ion3 will let you have multiple apps running with
tab switching in a way that any user will be able to grasp at once.  I've
wondered about setting up a simple user with (say) email and web and simple
WP using one of these window managers on three tabs.

You can get Win98 speed if you configure these right, but with modern security
and features, at least for a restricted set of apps.

Peter