Jeanne de Voto cookbook (was Re: ABout the Rev Search Engine (was: Re: Problem with revExecuteSQL - More))

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 2 13:30:26 EDT 2007

Devin Asay wrote:

> Oh, arrays were covered, alright. In the section called "Containers,
> variables, and sources of value". Nowadays, it's in the PDF manual,
> in section 5.5.7, page 123. But that's just the point, isn't it? I
> dug around awhile before I found it. Once I did, the information was
> clear and helpful. So the issue is not "There isn't any
> documentation." It's "Where the heck do I learn about X?" Eric's
> Search Tool is a huge help, but it's an unappreciated, hidden gem.
> Right now there is no comprehensive search tool it the online docs
> that will search all of the documentation. That's the piece that's
> lacking, and that was better, frankly (if a bit slow) in versions pre
> 2.7.

This leaves two options, either of which would benefit us:

- RunRev would move the documentation back into a fully-Rev
   format, not only integrating it into as more cohesive
   whole but also inspiring the many developers who look to
   Rev as a solution for delivering hypermedia documents.

- RunRev would develop a PFD decoder, which they could ue
   to make their PDFs searchable, and so could we in our
   own apps.

I'd be very happy to see either solution.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal