"proof-of-concept" Revolution Online Open Dictionary at revcoders.org

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 03:40:37 EDT 2007

Ken puts it exactly, and far far better than I managed to.  Sorry.

A trivial example from my early days with Rev.  I had a scrolling field into
which a user pastes lines of text by hitting enter.  At a certain point the
text gets too long for the window, and he/she has to scroll down.  I realize
this is a chore, and want the window to scroll with the entries so the last
one is always visible.  But how?

Imagine you're a real novice with Rev.  How do you set about finding out?  You
just start looking things up.  You look
up 'scroll',  'autoscroll', 'find', 'select', 'put'....and so on.

It is like trying to find the French for 'dog' from a French-English
dictionary.  If only you knew it was 'chien' you could look it up....

Now I don't personally mind this way of learning, or the fact that you learn a
lot of stuff which is irrelevant to your immediate purpose on the way.  But a
lot of people just cannot hack it, and these are the ones you'll lose if you
don't have a more immediate way of getting to purposes.

Yes, what Ken describes is a good way of doing it.

Peter