All this talk about DataBases - Valentina

-= JB =- sundown at nwrain.net
Thu May 31 22:11:00 EDT 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 3:56 PM, -= JB =- wrote:

> On May 31, 2007, at 1:55 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>
>> Or you could store it in a text file and just read that in. In any
>> case, it's all the same approach; store the data as a single text
>> variable. With this method, you use offset() or lineoffset() to find
>> the record(s) you want, and use a display card to load in each record
>> as needed. The display card  would have the same number of fields as
>> record items (40 in your case) and parse out the record data to fill
>> each field appropriately. You need to write your own navigation
>> commands with this method, re-filling the fields with the next or
>> previous line of data on demand. When the user changes cards, you
>> need a closeCard handler that gathers the field data, inserts
>> appropriate item delimiters, and writes it back to the correct line
>> in the text variable.
>>
>> This is the method I used for a 40,000 record data set. The data was
>> stored in a text file on disk and the application was only a single
>> card that displayed the current record. This has the advantage of
>> keeping the data separate from the interface, and the client only
>> needed to backup the text file.
>>
>    I am very new at using Revolution but I am a long time HyperCard
> user & still use it.
>    Like you said the data could be stored in a text file.  In
> HyperCard one problem with
>    storing the data in a field was the field had a limit of around
> 32,000 chars.  But this
>    could be overcome by creating new fields as the database grew and
> deleting them
>    if it decreased.  The find command from hypercard would do the job
> pretty fast.
>
>    My question about Revolution concerns field limits.  I haven't read
> anything about
>    a character limit.  Is there a character limit in Revolution
> Fields.  If there isn't one
>    that is actual is there one that is practical.  At what point doe
> the find command get
>    too slow while searching a field or other things like sorting etc.
>
> thanks,
> -=>JB<=-

    Revolution explains Databases and when it is more efficient to use
one in
    Chapters 2 and 8 of the Revolution docs.  It appears they suggest
using a
    database after 2,000 records.

    I have read some about Valentina.  They say it is fast and can be
used with
    the Studio version of Rev.  Oracle needs the higher version of Rev.

    I tried to read the license to learn about any royalties I would
need to pay
    with Valentina but I really didn't find the answer.

    Does Valentina require any royalties with software I sell if I
decide to use
    it as my chosen database.

    What features does Oracle have that would make me consider using it
    instead of Valentina or vice versa.

    I am assuming if I choose Valentina I need the Developers Kit if I
am going
    to market the software.  Any info about Valentina and Revolution
good or
    bad would be nice to know.  I have been to the website already.

thanks,
-=>JB<=-