USB or Bluetooth GPS

Chris Condit ccondit at geo.umass.edu
Thu May 31 15:52:19 EDT 2007

Revolutionaries-

I've been working on making what I call "Dynamic Digital Maps"  using
Rev  (you're welcome to piggy-back using my DDM-Template to make your
own, see URL below).  The DDM allows one to open jpeg map images in
the DDM, and supply georeference information on the image, it so you
can get latitude-longitude read outs as you scroll the mouse over the
image.  Now that classes are out, I'd like to take some time this
summer to build in the capability to track your location from a GPS
system as you are viewing the map (that is, to have the GPS signal
drive the cursor location instead of having the mouse do it).

I've been looking over various GPS devices, and see a couple that
might work that use either USB or supply "Communication with Host
platform Via Bluetooth Serial Port Profile" and wonder if anyone can
give me a pointer as to which, if either I might be able to use with
Revolution.

In January this year, Sarah Reichelt allowed that:
"The [...] problem is that Rev cannot talk directly to a USB port.
For all the interface things that I do, I use serial ports and I
connect them to my Mac using a USB to serial adapter. Once you
install the driver for such a device, Rev sees it as a serial device
even though it is connected via USB, so then the standard serial
commands work fine."

I can get a Keyspan serial adapter to hook up to a GPS, but that
seems like a more cumbersome way to go than straight USB or
Bluetooth.  Especially so, since USGlobalSat has two GPS that are
WAAS enabled (for higher accuracy), one that uses a USB (for $80),
and the other that uses Bluetooth for $160.

Appreciate any help
cheers
Chris
--
Dr. Christopher D. Condit,  Associate Prof.,  Dept. of Geosciences
Univ. Massachusetts,  611 North Pleasant St., Amherst, MA, 01003-9297