All this talk about DataBases - but how to select?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu May 31 12:38:21 EDT 2007

On 31/5/07 4:18 PM, "Bill" <bill at bluewatermaritime.com> wrote:

Hi Bill,

> I was wondering about the speed of using filemaker with a RunRev front end
> in comparison to using RunRev with SQLite or Valentina.
>
> I have been using SQLite and don't have very many records but do some
> convoluted SQL that is fairly slow (many joins). I also use SQLitemanager in
> conjunction with my RunRev front end as it saves me from writing a lot of
> stuff that the SQLitemanager already does well. It is also excellent for
> testing SQL.
>
> I would like to try Valentina and compare but have been unable to import my
> SQLite database into Valentina's demo for testing. It always chokes on
> something in my data that it doesn't like.

1) you can read Valentina users testimonials, many of which contains
information about comparing Valentina speed to this or that DB.
Look here please:
    http://www.valentina-db.com/en/testimonials

2) if you still want get your data into Valentina and need help you can
contact me off list, or even better subscribe to Valentina lists from our
SUPPORT page.

3) I wonder if you have try to use Valentina Studio -- this is
Valentina-based DBMS with GUI.

> I have also been thinking about using filemaker with the RunRev frontend
> because filemaker has lots of stuff already done for me (much more than the
> SQLitemanager) so using it in conjunction with RunRev might be a really
> powerful solution.
>
> EXCEPT
>
> I haven't tested the speed of accessing filemaker databases through RunRev
> yet. Anyone done this?

I can say that Valentina did win FileMaker/4D in 100-1000 times in benches
depending on queries.

Valentina wins SqlLite average at 30 times rate, and again sometimes can hit
up to 100 times win.

Valentina vs mySQL -- just few weeks ago was new switcher from mySQL which
have report that some his query that work in mySQL 5 min in Valentina works
5 seconds. I.e. 60 times win. And he reports that in mode of tons SMALL
selects to Valentina Server, Valentina wins about 25%.

Valentina vs Postgre ... Well, most people I have hear say that Postgre is
much slower of mySQL. Only once I have here opinion that in some special
case with computer in 100 CPUs and 1000 users around Postgre was faster of
mySQL.

Another switcher on Windows, from VistaDB (C# based db) have report that his
app start work 50 times faster with Valentina...

And so on...

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin