On Board Sound -- Midi in Custom Props

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed May 30 22:15:59 EDT 2007

Klaus Major wrote:
> Hi Swami,
>
>> Swami,
>>
>> think about a simple download/cache scheme that saves the sounds
>> somewhere in a special folder. I use a folder created in
>> specialFolderPath("docs")

>>> I would like to include some really light weight audio in stacks. Midi
>>> would be ideal for certain kinds of games sounds, transition sounds,
>>> opening splash screen sounds. As soon as you start doing aiff and  wav,
>>> otherwise lean stacsk (100-150K) starts to bloat (400-500K)
>>
>> creative trimming and downsampling can save a ton of room with audio.
>> 11kc samples at 16 bits can sound pretty good. Instead of letting a
>> sound trail off too much (unless needed for effect), use a fade to
>> gracefully and quickly stop a sound and tightly trim the top. Use mono
>> instead of stereo.
>
> AND use the very compact AU format, which can be used with "play ac xyz"!

Thanks for the tips... This has yet to include any transtion audio, this
is a small start:

go stack decompress (url
"http://www.hinduismtoday.com/digital/htde_media-player.rev.gz")

(enjoy some nice scenes from our all stone temple in Hawaii)

I'll see about adding some sound at the opening splash screen.

Note the model still expects files to be downloaded but, hopes that
the fast start headers will registered and users can start playing.

Later we will build a more robust interface that gives more feedback
on what's happening (as well as access to all past media in past issues)

Right now if you click on some of the start or go to buttons, you
might a delay as Revolution seems to want to try to
immediately connect with the remote URL for a player, even
before you have started it.

At least I think this is working better by putting each  piece
on its own card, with it's own player, rathe than what I was
doing before which was to drive all the media thru a single
player object (resetting the URL by script)  but that had
lots of problems...

all feedback welcome... I'm just feeling my way here.

Sivakatirswami