On Board Sound -- Midi in Custom Props

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Wed May 30 15:21:08 EDT 2007

Swami,

think about a simple download/cache scheme that saves the sounds
somewhere in a special folder. I use a folder created in
specialFolderPath("docs")

don't use 'documents' as described in the documentation, it won't
work. Use 'docs'... The complete list of special folders is on Ken
Ray's site.

[psudeocode]
---------

select a sound

if there is no folder yet in specialFolderPath("docs")
then
    create a folder there
If the desired sound doesn't exist in local folder when called,
then
     download the audio file from the net, updating library
end if
end if

load adr of local file
start the audio file

---------

after a couple of uses, the needed sounds just run.
On a good connection the time difference between loading and playing
and playing local is negligible, even with little videos. this works
much better and is more efficient than http streaming. This works
really well and uses the least amount of bandwidth and disk space.
And your data is separate from your business logic.

>I would like to include some really light weight audio in stacks. Midi
>would be ideal for certain kinds of games sounds, transition sounds,
>opening splash screen sounds. As soon as you start doing aiff and  wav,
>otherwise lean stacsk (100-150K) starts to bloat (400-500K)

creative trimming and downsampling can save a ton of room with audio.
11kc samples at 16 bits can sound pretty good. Instead of letting a
sound trail off too much (unless needed for effect), use a fade to
gracefully and quickly stop a sound and tightly trim the top. Use
mono instead of stereo.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o