All this talk about DataBases

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at cox.net
Tue May 29 22:34:23 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Guess I'm going to start up another great controversy. Again I'm
hearkening back to my HC days. When it was first released, one of its
main claims to fame was the question as to whether or not it WAS a
database. Certainly, it had all of the attributes and features of
one. Even with SE30s as a machine; and, with some 2,000 records/
cards, HC performed acceptably fast considering the simplicity of its
implementation and subsequent use. So, my question is: has RR done
such a poor job at duplicating this functionality that we cannot get
along without specialty DBs in MOST instances? If it has, then at
what record level must we consider using these other DBs? I realize
that there ARE many applications that will need a greater capacity,
but not the average one created by the "average" Rev user. I'd sure
like to know.

TIA,

Joe Wilkins