Hammering on RunRev's door . . .

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue May 29 22:11:28 EDT 2007

Richard-

Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 1:58:57 PM, you wrote:

> That may not be a bad idea.  If RunRev gave away licenses for their
> Classic product, it's not like they'd be losing any serious sales but it
> would generate some additional interest.

> Hmmmm....

Well, I like the idea at first glance. But I see two different ways to
go here, each of which has its own problems.

If runrev were to update the engine to the 2.8.1 level and give away
the restricted Classic version (run only on Classic, deploy only to
Classic), there's a lot of development time they'd be throwing away
working on the code base. I'm sure they'd rather put their time into
something that's got a better ROI, and personally I'd rather see their
efforts go into other things.

On the other hand, releasing the 2.6.1 Classic build with the same
restrictions wouldn't be much of an effort, but we'd still have the
same complaints as now about the Classic version being behind all the
other builds. Nonetheless, that would be the direction I'd take if it
were up to me. Package it up pretty much the way it is, build in the
restrictions, remove the licensing requirement, turn it loose, and not
have to think about it any more...

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net