altID

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue May 29 11:06:10 EDT 2007

Joe,

One of the great things about Rev, is you can program at whatever
complexity level you feel comfortable with.

I have a number of 'black box' functions and handlers, that even I
can't easily make sense of as they were programmed years ago and do
layers of image compositing and pixel offsetting to create my own
bitmapped fonts. Since they are encapsulated in functions, I can use
them with a simple call. In fact, I have quite a few libraries like
this, which are basically 'wrappers' around much more complicated
code.

That's the beauty of it all. You can use a handler or function in such
a way you don't need to understand the inner workings of it, only how
it's called--and what it returns.

In fact Ken Ray has such a library available now for public
consumption. It's called Revolution stdLib and has some simple and not
so simple handlers and functions. The full list of functions/commands
is at the following Wiki page on the Sons of Thunder web
site:

http://www.sonsothunder.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.RevolutionStdLib

Even though you may not understand the how of the functions, I imagine
you would be able to use them.

Another great example is libURL which comes with Rev and is written
entirely with Transcript. It allows you to connect to the internet and
access web and ftp servers. I doubt many can fully understand the
genius which Dave Cragg has created there, but we all use it every
day.

-Chipp