[ANN] id3libv1.0.0

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Tue May 29 06:56:57 EDT 2007

> I have Sony Acid Pro and Sonar Producer.  Each of these required me to
> purchase a license from the respective companies to work with MP3 files.
> I asked Sony and Cakewalk about claims that I would need an additional
> license to actually distribute these files (as claimed by an audio
> technical group I'm a member of).  Both Sony and Cakewalk told me to
> contact Thompson.

Sorry I hit send to accidentally!  <g>

Anyway Thompson informed me that yes I would need to purchase a separate
license to distribute in this format.  I then asked, as a software
developer, if that meant I could read and write to and from an MP3 file in
my own software.  They stated that I could not and would need a separate
license to do that.  I asked directly what that license allowed and they
told me it included the right to write the audio data, tags and to read both
back.  Like you I was surprised by this.  I enquired further about their
ownership of that tags (as I had found the same information as you) and they
told me that as I am writing and reading from their format *anything* not
pertaining to performance rights (that the label or artist owns) is their
property as specified by their patent.  As I said in my first post they are
total creeps.  The entire series of emails was very curt and at times
totally condescending.

Scott