best way to define clickable areas with irregular shapes ?

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri May 25 17:57:33 EDT 2007

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com wrote:

> Recently, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
>
> > To my knowledge graphic objects were able to detect the mouse inside
> > their filled area - instead of their rects - long before 2.7.
>
> Detecting the mouse, yes, always.  But within an irregular polygon shape,
> the mouse would be detected using the entire rect of the graphic,
> regardless
> of any concave or convex regions.  I (and Eric Chatonet I assume)
> spent many
> years working around this limitation by using images with transparent
> regions.  But this is now irrelevant as graphics detect the mouse
> using only
> the area they occupy as expected.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design

Maybe I cannot grasp exactly what you and Eric were trying to achieve .
Things seem to be different here.

The educational sample stack I referred to
(<http://www.sanke.org/Software/ImageAndWords.zip>) was originally
created in April 2003.  Within its irregular polygon shapes, the mouse
would be detected only in the proper graphic area and *not* in the
entire rect of the graphic.

Have a look at the stack and run it with a Metacard of Revolution
version prior to 2.5. Look for instance at the exercise "Move and Click".

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>