best way to define clickable areas with irregular shapes ?

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri May 25 14:55:03 EDT 2007

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com wrote:

> It's worth noting that with the introduction of version 2.7 (I believe)
> graphic objects will detect the mouse only within filled area they occupy,
> instead of their rects, which makes them quite suitable for irregular
> click
> regions.  It's no longer necessary to use images for this purpose.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design

and

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Yes you are right about graphics but I find a lot easier to create
> very precise hotspot outlines using Photoshop.
> Rev graphic tools are HC legacy, not more :-)

To my knowledge graphic objects were able to detect the mouse inside
their filled area - instead of their rects - long before 2.7.
I have got a several years old educational sample stack where this is
implemented and where most graphics in the image overlap each other.

<http://www.sanke.org/Software/ImageAndWords.zip>

And - while the possibilities of Photoshop and other photo tools surely
surpass those of Rev in their specific field - I think it to be
relatively easy to superimpose irregular polygons on images to catch
mouse events in defined hotspot areas.
Changing the inks of the graphics on mouseenter and mouseleave is
another variant to "hilite" specific irregular areas in an image.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>