Build for Classic

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Mon May 21 15:01:52 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

A quite note on this one.

There is no measurable marketing benefit to us for continuing to promote
support for OS 9 at this stage. We are not maintaining this information for
marketing reasons, rather we promised one final classic version to our users
some time ago.  2.7.5 was the version this was to be in and this has been
renamed to 2.9. We didn't promise this within a specific timescale and we
made a public announcement to the effect that 2.7.5 has been renamed 2.9.

It remains our intention to do a classic build with 2.9. That was the last
public statement we made on this.

There is a caveat with the classic build. We have encountered technical
problems working with the classic port we didn't expect when we made the
original announcement. We looked at this not too long ago and because of
changes we have made its become much more difficult to update the port.  So
there is a risk that when we work on classic for 2.9, it will prove
impossible. We are unable to devote weeks of engineering to resolving any
"impossible" problem relating to this port.

I can promise you though that will make a solid attempt to produce a
workable classic version for 2.9 within a reasonable engineering timeframe.
If we can't, it will be because the engineering issues have become
insurmountable since the point at which we resolved to do this.  In which
case we would make an announcement of that with a full explanation at the
time. Hopefully though the engineers will be able to resolve this issue
within a reasonable period of time and we will do a successful final build,
fulfill our obligation and move on.

Until we have looked at it further I don't have any more information to give
the community as I simply don't know any more. I hope this clarifies our
position a little.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools