An apology!

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 15:16:08 EDT 2007

Mark Smith wrote:

"Actually, I think you might also apologise for the
redundancy in your original post:

>  wrote a long, and fairly sesquedepelian

Outside of chemistry (where it indicates a ratio of 3
to 2), sesquipidalian simply means 'long', from the
Latin for 'a foot and a half'."

I, of course :) need to make no further apologies
because I was unable to ascertain, when Joel was
writing, whether he adhered to the English or the
Roman foot. As a Scot I adhere to neither and
naturally favour the Scots Ell.

I did, however, use "sesquidepelian" its more modern
meaning of:

polysyllabic

Now you will have to accept that a text can be long
and not polysyllabic (some folk I know talk at length
in monosyllables), short and polysyllabic, or both
long and polysyllabic.

Go and read Lewis Carroll's 'Alice' :

http://www.sundials.org/about/humpty.htm

and have a jolly good Sunday night.

Love and more muffled noises, Richmond Mathewson

However as I acknowledge His Majesty King Francis II,
King of Scots as my monarch:

http://www.defendersofscotland.org/monarch.htm

and he is a direct descendent of Pharaoh Akhenkeres of
Egypt I may find myself obliged to use cubits :)

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.