"Easy to use"

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Sun May 20 06:51:57 EDT 2007

Richmond Mathewson wrote:
> I had a peep at the latest downloads on the Apple site
> and there was Revolution Studio 2.8.1 which was
> described as:
>
> "easy-to-use and packed with features"
>
> The "easy-to-use" surely only refers to a small subset
> of the feature set (i.e. those that require little or
> no coding).
>
> Even the documentation can prove a bit opaque to new
> users.
>
> This is similar to claims that have been made about
> the current cross-platform, cross-OS GUI: - but it is
> not easy to use for people who have never used
> computers before.
>
> Working with an 11 year-old who had never done any
> programming before RR was not "easy-to-use" at all.
>
> By way of comparison we played with the OOO equivalent
> of PowerPoint.
>
> As the 11 year-old only wanted to bung together 25
> images of trolls from the internet into an automatic
> slideshow OOO won hands down.
>
> When we moved on to try a calculator (+,-,/,*
> sophisticated stuff) we rapidly bogged down in the
> child's lack of understanding of variables and
> constants: we only got somewhere after sitting on the
> floor (a long way away from the computer) with lots of
> plastic cups and buttons - but I had to teach him.
>
> Until somebody can cope with the following ideas, no
> computer programming package (however O-O it may be)
> will be easy to use:-
>
> 1.  A=A+1
>
> 2.  Looping
>
> "We" (and by 'We' I include the staff of RunRev) have
> "been at it" so long we have forgotten that.
>
> 4 Years ago I sat in a classroom in the University of
> Abertay as part of what was passing itself off as a
> MSc in Computers and IT while somebody tried to
> explain these 2 fundamental concepts to students - as
> I had the advanytage of having had them explained to
> me 30 years earlier I fiddled with my double-sided
> slide-rule - who just couldn't get to grips with this;
> hence a comment:
>
> "This is stupid, everybody knows that a number cannot
> equal itself plus 1."
>
> Somewhere down the line an extremely odd idea has
> developed that anybody can program a computer without
> learning first principles - this is seriously
> misleading.

Welcome to "Marketing World"

Marketing World is easy to use, even for novices, yet delivers the power
and flexibility normally only available in an entire solar system*.
Marketing World fits easily in your laptop bag or briefcase but provides
ample space for your most ambitious projects*.
Tired of having sand kicked in your face? Want a larger bosom?
Embarrassed by your unfashionable car or operating system version?
Whatever your inferiority complex, Marketing World can promise you your
dreams*.

*(exceptions may apply in your jurisdiction)

Martin Baxter ;-)