Private commands

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sun May 20 05:07:39 EDT 2007

On 20/05/07, Shao Sean <shaosean at wehostmacs.com> wrote:

> Anyways, back to the topic at hand.. I too attempted to use a
> "private command" with parameters passed by reference and was just
> given a 417 as well (see above for the joke)

Have you filed it as a bug report - can't see it.

I also came across another problem with the new "private command"
> feature and have detailed it in bug report 4997, but the basic gist
> of it is you can't use "private commands" for socket callback
> messages which is too bad because those are basically the ones I
> personally want to hide from the public API of the libraries *sigh*

Yes. Same here there are two types of handlers that i use often which are of
no use to anyone except as a "private" handler that is repeatedly called by
one or more functions:

    1) A handler that needs to return multiple values - like a line parser

    2) A recursive handler that have params that are internal to its
recursive nature

Both of these need to use call-by-reference handlers - and both want to be
private handlers. It looks as if by some strange coincidence the handlers
that actually need to be private can't - maybe there will be way round it.