Build for Classic

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Sat May 19 09:38:04 EDT 2007

Chipp,
We had to make the OS 9/OS X decision on the business system we sell. We
estimate there are about 500 OS 9 computers still in use by our customers. But we
decided to support OS X only with the new version. The thought was: those who
are satisfied with the old OS are satisfied with the old version of our
software.
I suspect this is true in education as well. One could make an Apple II
version of a program but even schools still using A IIs will be unlike to buy it.
All of the local schools, public and private, here in San Dimas use "modern"
computers. Of course, with the exception of the Looney household, SD is an
affluent community so it may not be typical.
Still, as a business person, I think it better to invest time, talent, and
expertise in building software for those who are ready, willing, and able to buy
it. And, in my experience, those who are running "really old" hardware and
OSes are not looking to upgrade other software. There may be a lot of classic
computers in education but that doesn't mean there is a big market for classic
programs.
I, too, agree with Richard: OS 2.6.1 provides almost everything a classic
programmer is likely to need. Let Rev deploy its resources elsewhere.
Paul Looney